Monday, February 18, 2008

More yarn...

I dyed some more yarn last night - it's hanging up to dry and I've got eight ounces of roving finished and drying too. I'm dying the roving thinking of plying now. The first roving moves from green to brown and the second roving starts orange and moves to a deep plum - all because of random spinning! Once they're dry I'll "ply" the rovings as a sample. When I look at roving I don't think of spinning any hunk all by itself anymore... isn't it funny? Maybe I will do that again one day, but I don't think it'll be anytime soon.

When I used to dye, I did it outside on a giant picnic table and would cold pour the dyes on the roving and then steam them in a bamboo steamer on a gas grill. There's no way I'm brave enough to do that in my house right now. I still harbor a slight aversion to fairly solid dyeing, but we'll see how it goes. It may be just the ticket, and since I'm going to ply with a different color it should keep me amused.

This yarn is rather autumnal, more brown than red and gold, I can't wait to see how it knits up. There are two more skeins ready to go on etsy.

autumn

I forgot to show you what my man gave me for Valentine's Day. Grow Your Own Prince. It started out as a frog (which dissolves) and then the prince is supposed to grow over the next 72 hours.

my prince

If you look closely you can still see the outline of the frog. Unfortunately, the prince has not grown. Leave it to me to get a dud prince. Heh. My man is a prince, so I'm good.

No comments: