Monday, October 01, 2007

Spinning Aspen

A few days ago I received my first monthly installment of Spunky Eclectic Fiber. It was 2 oz. of merino/tencel which I have only previously spun on my drop spindle. I decided to have a go on my Louet 17 wheel. I thought it was fine, but my 3 ply is rather lofty (not necessarily a bad thing, but when you only have two ounces of fiber...it doesn't go that far). I knew I should've gone for the larger subscription. Anyway, here it is still chillin' on the bobbin...

seobtoberaspen

Then I Navajo plied it (I really dig that, even though I have a rather rudimentary system including a shoe box and a knitting needle).

aspen 3ply

I spun it partially inch-worm style and then practiced with a longer draft and got more loft. It will definitely be some accent somewhere.

I meant to crop this picture...sorry...here is the lovely Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock Lightweight in Chickabiddy (destined to become my next Monkey Socks). I fell in love with this colorway on Cara Davis's site (january one). I am not a pink and yellow girl, but this is so beautiful it's been on my mind ever since she made them. Here is Chickabiddy as a skein

STRchickabiddy

And again as a "cake"

chickabiddy cake

And my only other skein of Blue Moon - for right now- Watermelon Tourmaline also in lightweight STR.

STRwatermelontourmaline

That's all for now folks, gotta go knit and listen to some more Steve Earle.

No comments: