Monday, October 08, 2007

Steve Earle and still socks

I realized I have not been effervescent about Steve's new album. I am quite pleased with it. It is good to hear a love song from him about someone he still loves. Most of the time they are, "I love you even though I treated you badly and you're gone." I have the CD with the bonus DVD and let me tell you, that man would be a HANDFUL! I knew he seemed kind of hyper, but now that he is drug, alcohol, AND nicotine free - Holy Hannah! The man barely pauses to breathe. Steve had a radio show called The Revolution Starts... Now on Air America for a while. His show had other musicians coming on and sharing their favorite music; problem was Steve would barely let them get a word in edgewise. I haven't heard the new show, so I don't know if his interviewing skills have improved (and I still adore him even if they haven't).

I was a little disappointed in the drum loops and the lack of the Dukes on the album. The Dukes rock so hard live. My favorite songs right now are: Tennessee Blues, Down Here Below, City of Immigrants, Oxycontin Blues, Red is the Color, and Pete's Hammer. Almost all of them. Next week it will be the other songs not on the list this week.

Intercession break is over so the children are back in school - yea! - and happy to be there. The great thing about their charter school is that, in most cases, their only homework is reading for thirty minutes a night. Chicky has spelling every week, but that is so doable. I am worried about next year for the boys, I need to go out and start scoping out the middle school situation. Scary. I can't believe they are so freakin' old already.

My love for monkey socks is extreme. I got four rounds of the pattern off yesterday, and am waiting for the kids to go to bed so I can work on them some more.

chickabiddy monkey progress

Roza's socks by Grumperina are coming along nicely. I love Cherry Tree Hill yarn, it is so sheeny, soft, and bouncy. Of course, they will look better when blocked, but they have grown on me. Now I want to do her Odessa hat next.

roza sock #1 progress


I'm almost finished with Nancy Bush's Welsh Country Stockings! Right now, they are a little large, so I might try felting them a wee bit if blocking doesn't help the situation.

Chicky is spinning on her drop spindle. She's using some funky carolina scrappy love to spin, and hopefully knit a sweater for one of her dolls. I would've bet good money she would have chosen all the pinks. I was dead wrong. She's going for the greens. All. of. them. It's so hard to share.

chicky spins

She's pretty darn cute though.

No comments: