Friday, August 17, 2007

Gratuitous yarn shots

Friend Becca was on a cross country trek for two weeks and brought me two lovely skeins of Chameleon Colorworks Evolution yarn. It is a very soft, machine stretched (not exactly sure what that means), merino. I've been pondering what they will become.

Chameleon Colorworks Evolution yarn

I decided to knit and felt some old some handspun and dyed yarn that got slightly felted while dying. The original color was a very deep green. Looked pretty solid with a nice sheen, but I had no idea what it would look like felted. The color has improved 100%! I really like all the lighter shades you can see in it now. I have no memory whatsoever of the dye(s) I used. Damn.

handspun felted bag/basket?

Another early dying and plying project that finally got knitted. Two-ply and three-ply yarns behave very differently and when I started knitting this I didn't like the way the plies looked. I've grown to like it. Here's a close up of the inconsistenly spun two ply and knitted scarf

Seed stitch scarf (from scratch)

In the words of Gillian Welch, "One monkey don't stop the show." But here are my two favorite monkeys

monkey socks

Finally, the monkey socks are done. These are a pattern from Knitty by Cookie A. They were incredibly fun to knit and I really dig the picot edge (idea from Cara at januaryone.com). Done is soft, cushy merino by Cherry Tree Hill. The socks in the photo are unblocked because I couldn't wait to put them on. They are getting the old blocking treatment right now. I think they will look awesome with all the black in my winter wardrobe.

Today Chicky's class went to the Eno and my smallest thought this was the thing to do with baby frogs

Chicky's frog

She was also making baby frog pools along the edge of the river. She had little piles of algae for comfy frog beds and the pool had a shallow end and a deep end.

No comments: