Sunday, August 19, 2007

Crazy? Pretty much.

Last night I had an idea that seemed like a good idea at the time, but tedious now comes to the surface. I'm using my scrap sock yarn to knit a Log Cabin blanket. Yep, crazy. Of course, four strips into it, I decide to google this morning and see if anyone else has had such a crazy idea. Yep. Two of my favorite knitters, Wendy at Wendyknits, and Cara at januaryone. Of course one was very planned (and gorgeous) and the other has so much sock scrap yarn that there are lots of endless, beautiful colors to choose from. Mine choices are way more limited. I've got some self-patterning Opal, some plain, some varigated Tofutsies, and some Cherry Tree Hill left over from the monkey socks.

Here is a square of the experiment. I still haven't decided if I like it or hate it.

log cabin test

I have decided that I would use garter stitch only if I were to really try and make a blanket. Better to build squares from two complimentary colors with one contrasting center square maybe. It certainly is original.

I have decided to use lots of my jewel toned Cascade 220 to make a very large garter stitch blanket (pattern from Mason Dixon Knitting). We'll see how long THAT takes. Seems like a slog-a-long waititng to happen.

No comments: