Saturday, February 18, 2006

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

I have been conscious of my oddities for a while, but I never imagined having an eastern tiger swallowtail happily parking itself on my forehead for half an hour or more.

foreheadswallowtail

Morgan found the caterpillar in mid-pupae - it actually finished splitting it's larval skin into a pupae in my hand. Erin decided to take custody of the chrysalis in her pop-up bug tent and there it has remained for a couple of months. I will readily admit I had little or no hope of it hatching under such circumstances. The bug tent has been moved gently, hurled, and accidentally catapulted by a dog during the metamophosis period.

Yesterday the blessed creature decided to hatch. I am impressed, but also saddened. She (it is a girl) cannot be let go out in the wild because it will be 23 degrees farenheit tonight. Our jonquils have started to bloom, and my kind children have picked some, but the butterfly doesn't seem too interested. I found her behind the computer this morning and right now she's parked on a houseplant. Chicky asked if we could "keep" her and I said that I kind of thought we had to since it was going to get cold and she would die. We'll see how it goes.

The Olympic knitting is sucking. I am so far behind it's not even funny. I'm kind of the Michelle Kwan of the Knitting Olympics, my fingers and brain have stressed themselves out and I don't know how I'm going to make it. Bowen's words of advice were, "Maybe you should have picked something easier." Thanks, kid.

No comments: