Saturday, November 10, 2007

Nope, I'm not gone.

I'm trying to stave off a cold. So far, I've taken Emergen-C, hot pepper tea, and immune system boosting tea (thyme, oregano, rosemary, and mint). The good news: the cold hasn't gotten worse and the sore throat that started on Thursday is gone. I think the herbal efforts are working.

Last night I finished reading Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson. It was a very good book about the hurricane that hit Galveston in 1900. It's also about the Weather Bureau (rather new at the time) and how it was having some trouble being taken seriously. I must say, I still feel that way about the weather bureau. I know it's science and everything, but they still can be way off on predictions. Anyway, the point is that I used to read a lot. I started that book in July (OHMIGOD!) and just finished it. I can't believe it. I used to read a book every two to three weeks! Newsweek is partially to blame. The only time I typically read is before bed, and since a new Newsweek comes out every week I fall asleep reading that these days. It's not my favorite news resource, and like most big media it can be rather behind with the issues (e.g., they are currently talking about our culture's obsession with germ killing and how it's creating super germs - haven't some of us been talking about that for almost a decade?), not to mention all the pop star news. Who gives a shit what Nicole and Brittany are up to?

There is a stack of books waiting for me on my bed stand. I can't decide between Class Matters or The Omnivores Dilemma for the next read...

I got a two lovely gifts today. One was Nancy Bush's Knitting on the Road (yea, more sock patterns!) and the other a gorgeous bag from Lantern Moon. It's got a generous sized middle and four pockets on the outside so various knitting projects may be carefully sequestered and not likely to tangle. I tried taking a picture, but it needs to have sunlight to show off its beauty. I can't wait to take it for a test drive. Heh!

I've finished one of the teacher gifts. The boys adore their teacher, Elizabeth. She is energetic, funny, creative, and thoughtful. I made her an old shale smoke ring out of Fiesta Baby Boom (the color is Rain Forest). I love it. Since it was only 220 yards, its a little shorter than I wanted and if I do it again I will use a smaller needle size. The pattern and the yarn ROCK! I'll try and take a better picture outside tomorrow.

old shale in fiesta

I've been making "minisocks" inspired by my Loopy Ewe gift kit. These are a little longer with a slightly different toe. They are only about five inches long and will be fine ornaments, but are too small to give as the gifts I wanted. I'm almost done with the new version (more "holiday" looking) and will post a picture when it's ready.

mini socks

Chicky will be relieved to hear I'm not giving them away. The children all want little sachet monsters desperately. I made one from Knitty for a friend and they've been telling me how much they would love to have one, too. I'm going to try and do that for their stockings when they're not around. (They complain I knit for myself and other people more than them. For the record, I pulled out all the winter clothes and accessories the other day, and they're doing pretty well.)

uni

Have a lovely rest of the weekend. I'm planning on it.

No comments: