Thursday, January 05, 2006

Flags and football

I was cleaning off the kids' art shelves the other day and found this picture:

morganflag

Morgan drew this version of the American Flag a little while after the 1000 American soldier was killed (I know because the other side says, "quagmire" from our peace vigil attendance). All that was in his seven year old mind. Has a social commentary all its own, doesn't it?

I finished the first book to put on my book list this year, A Civil Action by Jonathan Harr. The true story of the legal battle between parents of children that died of leukemia and the corporations of W.R. Grace and Beatrice Foods. Rather depressing, but very good read. I'll freely admit - it took me most of December to read it. It was a busy month and I kept falling asleep while trying to read (not the author's fault). My other favorites of the 2005 include: The Final Frontiersman by James Campbell, Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman, Our Endangered values by Jimmy Carter, and The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I managed to read twenty-three books this year - I can't believe it - with all the knitting I was afraid I was letting my reading slide, but I've still got it goin' on.

The boys got their final presents the other day: the back-ordered football gear. They are so psyched about it. Bowen put his on over his pajamas the first night - it's not cool, but it shows true dedication.

footballfans

That is the most I'm doing for their love of football. I really don't care for the sport. If they want to talk football, they have other people in their lives to indulge them. This is why family and friends are important, to support your children in things you don't like.

No comments: