Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Random bits of knitting and life

My dear friend Sarah is having a yarn sale over in her shop you might want to check out! I love a sale and thought I'd pass it along. Sarah's color combinations are gorgeous - there are some new rovings and handspun up, too.

In local news, Hillsborough now has a Weaver Street and those of us who have been waiting (and thought the day might never come) are thrilled. It reminds me of the old days, when Wellspring was Wellspring and not Whole Foods and in a smaller building. There are only three checkouts, so I can see some crazy things happening on weekends, but it is lovely. Bulk spices and foods, prepared foods, baked goods, my favorite brands, local meats, and a fabulous chocolate selection! We are moving up in the world, Hillsborough now has it's own chocolatier (Matthew's Chocolates), yarn store, and LocoPops.

I started ziggy last week. Toe-up socks and I have never gotten along. I have a high instep and toe-up socks tend to be way too tight for me, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do a reverse heel flap to resolve the issue. Despite these reservations I decided to knit the stripy Noro socks. The heel didn't work AT ALL for me. After three attempts, I knit in a scrap piece of yarn and said, you shall become an afterthought heel when I am calmer. Last night I put it in, having eight needles poking out from various places and three balls of yarn was probably not my best idea, but it worked! I can't put it on my foot yet, but according to the measurements it should fit. Afterthought heels are notoriously shallow, so I worked six rounds even to start in hopes it would give me the depth I needed. I've noticed in the pictures on Ravelry the heel is not shown on most of them. What does this mean?

Ziggy, before the heel

ziggy beginning

and after.

ziggy

I've been seeing this new game on various blogs and decided to do one for myself. Bowen wants to do one too but doesn't have a favorite celebrity crush or so he says (with a huge grin).

My creation

1. La Rochelle at night, 2. Pasta Flower, 3. Birches, 4. End of the day, 5. Viggo Waking, 6. Guinness @ Fado in Seattle, 7. our Irish cows (considering the picturesque), 8. coffee and chocolate mousse cake, 9. Shepherdess ~ Morocco, 10. The Calvo Family - Holidays, 11. there's nothing better than summer, 12. JJ's Boulangerie Strawberry Tarts

1. What is your first name?
2. What is your favorite food?
3. What high school did you go to?
4. What is your favorite color?
5. Who is your celebrity crush?
6. Favorite drink?
7. Dream vacation?
8. Favorite dessert?
9. What you want to be when you grow up?
10. What do you love most in life?
11. One Word to describe you.
12. Your flickr name.

I'll post my new favorite listening tomorrow. I hear my children doing the requested cleaning up, but it sounds a little less tidy than I'd like... sometimes you know things aren't good when it's too quiet and at other times too loud is just as bad!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yummmm.... Viggo...