Sunday, May 08, 2005

Reading, listening, and knitting

I like to know is what my favorite people are reading, listening to, and knitting. I have to know because I might be missing out on something, and I like to know what people are up to. I've been knitting my ass off since December and my reading list is shorter this year (but I haven't spent as much money on books - that's a good thing, right?), but I've still been enjoying myself. The listening is still Steve Earle. Thanks to friends my collection is almost complete. I've got tweleve of Steve's CDs in the player (Just an American Boy is a live double album) and I listen to them all constantly. I'm also listening to Michelle Shocked's Arkansas Traveler with bonus tracks. I had the tape many years ago, but I think I left it in a car that died. My newest acquesition is Patty Grififn's 1000 kisses. I love her songs and can't believe it took me so long to buy an album of hers.

Right now, I'm reading Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson. Two divers found a WWII German U-boat off the coast of NJ that wasn't recorded. Very interesting. Prior to this book, I read The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger which I loved. There are many "established" rules of time travel in fiction, and this one doesn't follow those rules, but it is amazing. I had a hard time stopping when I needed to go to sleep, feed the children, go to work, etc.

My current knitting project is "Skully" from Stitch 'n Bitch by Debbie Stoller. I want my skulls to have lower jaws, so I'll be adding them. (As an aside, I'm wearing black for the next four years because I'm mourning the result of November's election.) This will add another black item to my wardrobe. I just finished the "Vintage Velvet" scarf from Scarfstyle by Pam Allen. Yes, the yarn was expensive, but it was worth every penny. The scarf is knitted in Touch Me yarn (rayon and wool) and then felted. It is amazingly gorgeous! This particular scarf will be a gift, but I'm thinking about splurging and making one in black for me. Next on the list is a black shawl that will be used to accessorize those pesky summer dresses that have no black in them. I've got bamboo yarn and it feels soft and light and lovely. After that, my goal is the Elizabeth Zimmermann's Pi Shawl (guess what color). We''ll see how it goes.

No comments: