Sunday, May 08, 2005

A Mother's Day

I received most of my mother's day presents early. My daughter Erin, has been making me envelopes filled with love notes for a week. I was admonished NOT to look inside - and I did not - until today. Morgan made me a card with the sweet lines, "Dear Mom, Happy Mother's Day. I love you. How are you? I will help clean. Love, Morgan" How many eight year old boys volunteer to help clean the house? Bowen (his class has been studying poetry) wrote me a poem:

My mom is my star.
I look up to her like the night sky.
She tucks me in at night.
Like snow on a cold winter day.
She loves me and I love her.

Mom!

I've never really gotten into Mother's Day. I thought it was another card company holiday. Recently I found out the original Mother's Day was a war protest in 1870. That is soo cool, and so much more of a holiday I can get behind. Women, as mothers, wanted action. Many of us want the same action now. This is a quote from the original Proclamation of Mother's Day:

Arise, . . . women of this day!
Arise, all women who have hearts . . .
Our sons shall not be taken from us to unlearn all that we
      have been able to teach them of charity and patience.
We, women of one country,
      will be too tender of those of another country,
      to allow our sons to be trained to injure theirs.
From the bosom of the devastated earth
      a voice comes up with our own.
It says, "Disarm, disarm!"
The sword of murder is not the balance of justice.

        Julia Ward Howe (1819-1910)

No comments: