Monday, December 12, 2011

Another internet party where I'm arriving late, are you there already?

The amazing indie dyer and spinner Sarah and I communicate almost daily by rav mail (a.k.a. Ravelry for those of you that have lives strangely unencumbered by fiber).  We've been doing this for years and have never actually met in person. We have video chatted once, and talked on the phone a couple times when I went MIA in the wool world for a while. Anyway, she is a fabulous friend and hooks me up with all kinds of things I should know about, but don't.

Yesterday's revelation was Paperback Swap - What the wool? Exactly people, just like the name implies you exchange books (and also CD's or DVD's) for free.  Honestly, what could be better?  I heart books, but sometimes I heart impulse buys and I have a slew of books I read once and will never read again.  I signed up (easy peasy), posted 18 books, got two credits for two books and someone is waiting for me to print a shipping label and mail a book to them.  If someone orders one of your books you agree to pay the postage and mail it.  That's it.

Of course, I've already created a wish list with all kinds of cook books and a few knitting books on it. There is a tricksy part where they make new books available so if you were weak and tempted you could click that button and get exactly what you wish for immediately, but I'm not falling for that old trick.  Patience, Grasshopper.  Someone may suddenly decide to cast aside all their Jamie Oliver or Interweave Press books.  I shall wait very quietly...

While I'm waiting quietly I've been playing with some new dyes I bought.  They've got their pros and cons, but I do like the end results. The skeins working on some drying outside before they come in for the night.

Today was only a ten skein day because I had other things I needed to do before the peeps get home.  Namely burst for the first time in two weeks and get groceries.  My leg is now healed enough to run, wear pants instead of skirts, and have a small dog sit on my lap.  Mac is just as glad as I am that the healing is happening. Although he does look pretty snug on his down blanket.

mac again

And just because the Homesick Texan where I virtually live these days, posted a recipe that looked dangerously delicious I'm making Oyster Cracker Crack.  Thank you Lisa Fain, my children adore you!

Seasoned oyster crackers
Ingredients:
1 pkg. 12-14 oz. oyster crackers
1/2 cup of canola oil
1/2 tsp fresh dill weed
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp lemon pepper
1 pkg. ranch dressing, original (do not use low fat!)

Method:
Preheat oven to 250 degrees
Mix oil with herbs and spices
Put crackers in a 9 x 13 inch pan
Pour oil and herb mixture over crackers, gently stir
Cook in oven for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally




Tomorrow when the fibers are dry there shall be pictures!

No comments: