Tuesday, January 11, 2011

New finds

My weekends tend to be leisurely. One of my favorite things to do is browse antique stores, yard sales, and thrift shops for good finds. Sometimes, something good comes from a local consignment shop, like my Most Beautiful Yarn Storage

Most beautiful yarn storage

or a nasty basement

family picture frame

craigslist

hoosier cabinet

or my favorite shop out of town (The Ivy Cottage).

jelly cupboard

My house is pretty full of dressers, hutches, and cupboards at this point. I see good ones all the time, just this past weekend in fact (and I bought it, but it's waiting for me to pick it up). It's going in my room. Many people have little rooms attached to their bedrooms. I believe they're called walk-in closets. I have the old fashioned closet. It holds very little and for years has been the place I stash toys and things I've taken from my children for various misuses. I think right now there are a couple of Nerf guns and an old chin-up bar in there. Who knows what would happen if I actually cleaned it out. It is currently difficult to get in there because someone who shall remain nameless, but looks like this:

cato,I keep my eyes on you

runs as fast as he can every time he hears the door and dives to the very back of the mess. My closet is also the only place in my house to store my under used exercise ball. Anytime I fetch the wicked creature out of there I have to take the ball out, dig though hanging dresses, shoes, and knitting projects I'm also hiding from his paws. Honestly, he looks so harmless most of the time.

Anyway, I've branched out into smaller things too. Since I've been renting I've been telling myself not to buy pretties because "who knows where I'll be in the future." Well, I've been here for nine years (?!), so I guess this is where I'll be for a while. My bare walls are filling up and it feels much more cozy and homey. I can't believe it took so long. R had to tell me it was ok to spend money on things like that, and I had to find things I liked and felt worth it. The hunt is most of the fun! Now the giant spot over my desk has a lovely Andrew Wyeth print

the mill andrew wyeth

I found a few things on etsy I liked. This one by Kat Hannah is a favorite and I keep adding things all the time!

sea siren reunion reshoot

wilmington cabinet

Now my problem seems to be stopping. I'm justifying some purchases by saying, "Oh, someone else would love to have that. I'll put it on Etsy!" What a dangerous slippery slope this has become! Will it ever end? Maybe not. It sure is fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very, very, very great furniture.
I love this style.