Sunday, September 12, 2004

Addiction to music

I'll confess I'm a Steve Earle fan. Actually, I think he's my obsession right now. Haven't had a day without listening to him in...well, I can't pin it down exactly but it's been a long time. I am borrowing a friend's 25-disc CD player and the current content is: 12 Johnny Cash, 1 June Carter Cash, 2 Gillian Welch & David Rawlings, an Emmylou Harris, Buddy & Julie Miller, and 5 Steve Earle. Mostly, I just listen to Steve. Sometimes, I will branch out and hit "random", but not often. "Random" is really a lie anyway; it's so NOT random.

One of my seven-year-old sons said the other day, "Why don't we listen to Johnny Cash anymore? Oh, I know, because you like Steve Earle." I said, "I still like Johnny Cash, but I want to listen to Steve right now." "Everyday?!" my exasperated son asked. "Pretty much," was my reply.

The man is a lovely musician, he's a great writer (love the story-songs), and his chick songs are awesome. I have been trying to make a CD for a friend's wedding and I haven't found a songs of Steve's that is about enduring love. I guess with all those marriages he has found it best not to go on about enduring love...I can't say that I blame him. I'm trying to extricate myself from my first marriage and I've vowed to never marry again. I would happily live with someone, but to be bound by law just doesn't seem worth it. I know many same-sex couples are envious of the option, and I'm in support of them having it, but I don't want it again.

Can I list my "favorite" Steve Earle songs? Nope, there are way too many. Basically, there isn't a bad one. The new album The Revolution Starts...Now rocks. Buy an album, any album, and enjoy. Oh, and check out his radio show on AirAmericaradio.com at 10 pm on Sunday nights. It's called The Revolution Starts...Now.

No comments: